-
December 6th, 2004, 12:07 AM
#1
Inactive Member
Did anyone get Samantha's Gingerbread House this year? Here's a thread where we discuss ways to preserve the Gingerbread House.
Back when we bought it in the 80's, it was fully edible and advertised as such. Now the catalog says it is meant for decoration only. Does anyone know why the change was made? Surely there are little girls who would like to eat the gingerbread house.
The only thing I can think of is the icing used. Traditional meringue icing can be made with raw egg whites (my preferred recipe) or with powdered, dried egg whites in a mix. I wonder if American Girl changed the ingredients over the years.
Julia
-
December 6th, 2004, 12:16 AM
#2
Inactive Member
I just figured it was because they've had them sitting a warehouse for all of these years and can't guarantee you'll get a newer one, so they just add that as a disclaimer.
Susan
-
December 6th, 2004, 12:28 AM
#3
Inactive Member
You know, I STILL have not made the gingerbread house? The pieces just keep sitting in a box. It must be at least 8 years old by now. At least I was never intending on eating it. I guess I'm not brave enough to 1. actually try to make it in case I ruin it or it doesn't turn out nicely, and 2. try a way to preserve it.
-
December 6th, 2004, 12:45 PM
#4
Inactive Member
I have always wanted to make a Gingerbread House but haven't come around it yet. However, I found this really nice webpage with lovely Gingerbread Houses and instructions (recipes, tips and tricks and patterns):
Gingerbread Patterns Home Page
One could downsize the pattern of a simple Gingerbread House to fit a doll. Using Fimo you could make it last. Or how about salt dough or cinnamon applesauce dough?
-
December 6th, 2004, 01:55 PM
#5
Inactive Member
I asked my mother to make Sam's gingerbread house with me on Christmas Eve, 1994. It was an emotional Christmas for me because I was facing a full hysterectomy on the morning of Dec. 26th and thought that what was being removed might prove to be cancerous. My parents obviously knew about the operation but I didn't tell them anything else. Anyway, my mother worked really hard to put that kit together and did a very nice job. She used to teach cake decorating a long time ago and took special pains with this. The house didn't even last as long as the 6 weeks I had off work to recuperate. The walls sort of crumbled and the whole thing self-destructed. I was very upset that it lasted such a short time. So maybe Pleasant Co. got enough bad feedback that they took steps to make the house a little stronger -- and less edible?
By the way, I did not have cancer -- so I guess a crumbled gingerbread house shouldn't stand out as clearly in my memory?
-
December 6th, 2004, 03:15 PM
#6
Inactive Member
My daughter has always asked for the gingerbread kit, but I resisted wondering how long it would last and with so many other neat things to get ...
Thanks for posting the link to the gingerbread site. I am amazed at how beautiful some of those houses are! Very inspiring!
-
December 6th, 2004, 04:38 PM
#7
courtneysunshine
Guest
I always wondered about the Gingerbread House as well. We made our first Gingerbread House last year from a kit and I was wondering about eating it. Actually we had purchased it the year before and didn't get around to making it. The icing was the kind from the tube so I guess it was safe, but after a year the house was a little hard and tasteless [img]graemlins/gulp.gif[/img] I, too, noticed AG said it was for decoration only. The reason I hesitated is because 1) once it is made, that is it and I want more for the money and 2) how could you preserve it. Down here the bugs eat anything and get into anything so I don't think I would like to have the House sitting around. I wonder how difficult it would be to make a doll-sized gingerbread house on your own?
Ann, I think after eight years I would leave it alone also [img]wink.gif[/img]
Kim [img]smile.gif[/img]
-
December 6th, 2004, 06:58 PM
#8
Inactive Member
There are reasons why the gingerbread house is the one Samantha item I will never get. I think you've listed them all [img]smile.gif[/img]
-
December 6th, 2004, 08:51 PM
#9
Inactive Member
Thanks for the links to those amazing gingerbread houses and dough recipes! I think I'll just make some of that applesauce dough or something and make a fake gingerbread house. I just can't see paying money for something I can bake myself and will not last.
-
December 6th, 2004, 11:15 PM
#10
Inactive Member
I've made yummy edible gingerbread houses from graham crackers and Betty Crocker frosting! It's messy and doesn't stay up very long but that's really not the point, is it [img]wink.gif[/img] I don't want Sam's gingerbread house because what good is it if it is not edible????
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks